Friday, November 24, 2006

London Underground notices

On Monday morning I don’t know what was worse - the actual delays on the Underground, or the pain of having to read the information about the delays. They had managed three spelling errors in one sentence. The message read:

DUE TO OVERUNNING ENGINEERING WORK’S, THEIR IS NO CITY LINE SERVICE FROM WIMBLEDON

Now I know I am pedantic about this sort of thing, but that’s just ridiculous. Although I'm not sure it takes the crown from another London Underground message I saw a while ago on the Central Line, which remains the worst public information sentence I have ever seen. It was a warning against buying tickets from touts:

BE AWARE OF BUYING TRAVEL CARDS OTHER THAN A TICKET WINDOW

It looks innocent enough at first glance but read it carefully. The deeper you go semantically, the worse it hurts.

No comments: